In the UK o2 wants to charge nearly £15 a month just to tether your iPhone and use it with your laptop. In the US AT&T has not officially announced their charges or support but now a simple, easy and maybe not so carrier approved method has come to light.
The method does not require that you use iTunes to hack anything or jailbreak the phone but simply visit a website and download a settings file to update the device.
Thanks to Richard Lai there is a simple guide.
- Visit http://help.benm.at/ from your iPhone 3.0 device
- You will see the following screen, select "MobileConfigs"
- Next, select your provider and download the settings pack:
- You should now be able to enable tethering:
We are not sure whether a charge would be applied by your provider or whether this is totally legal but many sites are reporting success and I can confirm on a iPhone 3G 3.0 with o2 UK it works OK
Source : www.neowin.net
Apple is all set to release iPhone & iPod Touch Firmware 3.0. OS 3.0 is second major firmware update for iPhone & iPod touch. iPhone 2G, 3G users are allowed to have free upgrade to iPhone firmware 3.0, however iPod touch users need pay $9.95 to upgrade to OS 3.0.
We are sure many users are not happy with this kind of behavior from apple towards iPod Touch Users. Well don’t worry we will tell you how you can update iPod Touch 3.0 for free once apple had release OS 3.0 for iPod Touch.
How to Upgrade/Update iPod Touch 3.0 Firmware For Free
1. Download & Install iTunes 8.2
2. Download iPod Touch 2G Firmware 3.0 IPSW iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
& iPod Touch 1G Firmware 3.0 IPSW iPod1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
3. Connect your iPod Touch to computer
4. Start iTunes 8.2 & Select iPod Touch from devices list
5. Hold Shift and click Restore.
6. Locate iPod Touch ipsw files downloaded in step 2
7. Do not disconnect till iTunes has completed updating iPod Touch
That’s it, Now enjoy your iPod Touch 3.0 Firmware.
Check out Download links for iPhone 2G/3G & iPod Touch 2G 3.0 Software update